Stowe Mountain Lodge Blog
Group Meeting Trends in 2014
At this time of year, our sales and marketing team here at Stowe Mountain Lodge enjoys reflecting on how the past year has been for us, how successful our meetings and group visits have been and what to look forward to in the year to come.
Here are some interesting trends I've been seeing lately, which I look forward to in 2014, as Stowe Mountain Lodge is the perfect place to host a unique, authentic and memorable group meeting event:
- Executive meetings are on the rise
- Hot buttons are trending toward more secluded locations away from the hustle and bustle of the urban corporate life
- Groups are looking at properties that offer everything on site (meeting space, meals, activities, spa, golf, luxury accommodations….but not too luxurious)
- F&B requests are trending toward more nutritious meals with the ability for guests to customize within the meal itself (i.e. gourmet salad bars, working luncheons with attendees able to pick their meal earlier in the day and have them delivered into the work space) …palates are maturing and that is evident in meal selections within these executive groups
- Breaks are also trending towards more nutritious items with more thought put into them, (i.e. breaks that offer protein and healthy fats versus the tried and true cookies & brownies. For example, mix your own trail mix with gourmet items, Vermont Apples and Cabot Cheddar, Locally sourced vegetables with house-made hummus, Greek yogurt smoothies, etc.
- Team building activities are on the rise. I would estimate that 60% of groups inquiring and booking with Stowe Mountain Lodge have allotted time into their schedules for a group activity. Team building is a HUGE buzz word and growing trend, especially with the focus being on something outdoors to accommodate all ability levels.
- 50% of groups are trending toward more causal style set-ups--think glorified living room with large flat screen televisions being used for presentations. We have found that these style of meetings generate higher engagement and increased productivity. Guests are more comfortable, able to move around while not disrupting the flow of the meeting and still remain involved, and are encouraged to attend in more causal clothing. Our new meeting spaces, designed exclusively for Executive Meetings, welcome this style of meeting and encourage planners to think outside the box by introducing this set-up.